Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The engineering behind the belt

The next post I will begin the extensive review of the comfort, hygiene, and security of the belt, but first I thought I would give you some general thoughts on the durability, engineering, and craftsmanship on the belt.  I will also include some pictures of the belt on.  There is some clever engineering and and a good deal of thought that went into this belt.  The steel is rather thin and light in fact I have heard this is a criticism of My-Steel.  But I find that because it is to bend it conforms to the body very well.  It is still strong enough to resist bending in key areas like the shield.  I also like how My-Steel uses plates to go together as you can see in this picture I posted earlier.


The plates allow the locking pins to be durable and lessen the chance of breakage.  The pins on the tube are thick and durable and fit nicely into the shield and crotch band.  Because the shield and the crotch band double up before they lock to the waist band it is plenty rigid and allows the band to push the tube against the pelvis keeping it quite secure.  The lock they use seems like it could be a bit heavier but I assume it is a quality lock.  The finish is nice the silicone liner looks good and seems secure to the belt they thought to reinforce it in places it might come loose easily.  I feel like the belt will last a long time even though it is fairly light weight.  Here are some pictures of it on: 





4 comments:

  1. I have a very similar My-Steel belt and my main criticism is with the silicone liner and edging which eventually split, partly because they are only glued on at spots, not completely sealed. My-Steel then want ludicrous amounts for replacements.

    The plate with the pin on it at the centre front was also very sharp and I had to use an angle grinder and a file to smooth it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello so what about the security? Can you pull out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paulette,

    I haven't had any problems with the liner to this point but I have read about others who have had problems similar to yours. I do know what you mean with the plate it is quite sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben,

    I'm going to review the security of the belt in my next post...

    ReplyDelete